 Space / 19942
Re: MOC: Starship Cygnus
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Tue, 7 Jan 2003 03:18:31 GMT

In lugnet.space, John P. Henderson writes:
<snip>

Sweet!  The ship looks great!  And am I wrong but is the Hyperion ship in
your first BS gallery a different model that is equally cool? I like the
style you build in, very atypical for ships-of-the-brick, and yet so very
sci-fi.  Two things that jumped at me as nifty: 1) your skill at making your
ships look eye catching with relatively minimal greebling, and 2) your use
of lighting elements in key interior rooms.

I gotta ask though, how heavy is a model that large?  And how do you lift it
or transport it?

Build On!
-Hendo

Thanks!  Yea the hyperion was the last big ship i built, probably my most
complete (color, interior etc.), although the website for it can be a bit
flakey. http://ss_hyperion.home.att.net/

(1)Thanks i'm so envious of everyones elses greebling abilitys, I never
think mine have enough or they often seem to look awkward.

I would guess 50-60 pounds, 0 wooshability.  I build the floors so they rest
inside a lip of the floor below.  This ship is made up of 15 modules; 13
floors, a base (3 bricks high) and the roof (3 bricks high as well).  I was
concerned about the overhangs being to great for the structure and
collapsing lengthwise(some of the floors have gaps on the front of the ship,
showing it's leaning back).  However it's too narrow and i had one near,
heartstopping, topple sideways.  Finishing out the interiors would've helped
solidify the floors as well as distribute the weight more evenly.
The other advantage to breaking it into modules is it makes it easy to
replace a piece midfloor without tearing down several floors to get there.
I had intended to build the shell (to be sure i had enough stuff) then go
back and finish the interiors(which i did very little of :).
hope that wasnt' to much

Jeb