 Space / 19689
Re: Lame Parts Entry - Strix
Newsgroups:
lugnet.build.contests, lugnet.space
Date:
Sun, 29 Dec 2002 21:40:55 GMT

In lugnet.build.contests, John Henry Kruer writes:
Wow!  That is a GREAT model.  It's just... beautiful.

Thanks!  I appreciate your comments.

The lame parts really blend in well, and all the angles used on the wings is
just awesome.  The ship is a very cool-looking, and the vaguely pod-like
cockpit is excellent.
The head was the hardest part, so I'm glad it worked (and I was inspired by
pods when making it).

I really like how you made the angles so that the MOC didn't look like it
had 'holes' in it, even though there are lots.

Can you describe how you did all the weird angles?  I presume just hinges
and turntables, but it would great to see.
Actually, I didn't use any turntables in the wing construction.  Each wing
is held on by 3 click hinges (barely enough to hold them, but unfortunately
that was all there was room for).  Mostly the rest of the wings were held
together by plate hinges (you can make out two of them in black in some of
the pictures).  But on the tops of the wings I also used 1x1 clips connected
with 1x2 plates with the bar on the side (or whatever they're called..).
The tail is held on with the ball and socket joints from Yoda and a few
other sets.  The dishes on the head are held on again with the 1x2 plates
with the bar on the side, and 1x1 clips.  The panels on the side of the ship
are held on with 1x2 brick hinges attached sideways.

I hope at least some of that made sense.  :)

Great job!

Thanks again!
-JHK

Reed
In lugnet.build.contests, Reed Anderson writes:
Although I rarely build in space, I liked the idea of the contest, and knew
that I had some of the parts listed.  I came up with an owl-ish looking ship
using the following parts:

10 white picket fences
2 Manta Rays
1 rope bridge
1 row boat

As I was building I originally had a completely different plan for the
design of the ship, but a disaster during construction led me to the owl
like shape (which I'm more happy with anyway).  I named it Strix, after the
scientific name of the Great Gray Owl.

The Strix is designed for use in snowy regions, with everything well
insulated to protect passengers and gear, and is equipped with landing
skids.  Only one pilot is needed to control the ship due to it's simple
design.  Many vents (some of which are the picket fences) cover the ship to
release operating by-products.  The main structural support of the ship (the
rope bridge) also serves as a casing for wires and motors vital for the
running of the ship.  As well as balance, the tail of the bird serves as a
satellite communication device.

And until moderation, here are the deep links:

Top View:
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Gingivere/Strix/strix01.jpg
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Gingivere/Strix/strix02.jpg
Head on: