 Space / 18786
Re: new MOC: FireWasp
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic.bionicle, lugnet.space
Date:
Thu, 7 Nov 2002 14:36:24 GMT

Hey All,

I normally post in .castle but couldn't resist putting in my two cents here.
I agree with Adrian (nice web page BTW) about pieces from other themes being
used for space.  I think that any piece from any theme can probably be used
in some other theme.  Some might be difficult (I can't think of how I might
use a Bohrok canopy on one of my castles, but give me some time) :-).  Heck,
the new Star Wars star destroyer uses "castle" theme goblets as accents.  Up
until recently those have been a castle and town only piece.  I have found a
way to use bionicle pieces in my castle stuff.  I used the original Lewa's
axe for a giant's weapon.  Some of the masks would work good too if you
could find a way to attach them to a technic guy's head.  Anyway just some
rambling thoughts.

Thanks,
Josh

In lugnet.technic.bionicle, Adrian Drake writes:
Hey, you're welcome to your opinion and I'm certainly not going to bash you
for it.  While I agree that the bionicle parts do seem to be "hanging on",
they are, after all, a different color then the rest of the model (that
pseudo-silver as opposed to red and black elsewhere), I patently disagree
with your assertion that they're not 'spacy' enough.  What really defines
'spacy', anyway?  It's my opinion that any piece, from any theme, can be
used in Space.  That's part of the charm of the theme in general.  That's
how you get things like walkie talkies and binoculars and pistols and
shovels used as details.  I refuse to look down on a part made by Lego
simply due to the the theme from which it comes.  If I actually owned any
Jack Stone, I'm sure I'd work hard to come up with a way to use those pieces
in my creations.

Cheers (and keep criticizing, it's sort of refreshing to see *grin*)

Adrian
--
www.brickfrenzy.com

In lugnet.technic.bionicle, John Henry Kruer writes:
Hello, Adrian,
While the  piece use is awesome, and the studless design is really neat, I
dunno about the all the bionicle stuff.

In Jon's M-Wing, and in your awesome Megaera, the bionicle pieces are used
to supplement the overall shape of the model, adding detail and just plain
coolness.   But in the FireWasp, the bionicle pieces make the form.  The
limit on bionicle pieces comes into play- while little blaster disks look
like engines, and little bionice legs make for an interesting honeycombed
wing, the big bionicle shoulder plates and the big bionicle flames/skates/?
just seem a bit overboard.  The little 'flame' and the openings in the
'skate' piece just detract from the overall look of the awesome wing idea,
and the big bionicle parts just don't appear 'spacy' enough.  The whole
design seems to just hang on the eight bionicle pieces, which don't fullfill
their part well.  It just looks- well, like bits of Toa and Bohrok put
together to make a spaceship.

I don't intend to bash your MOC- its really great, and you obviously put a
lot of work into is.  I'm just commenting on bionicle parts in general.

-JHK
(intending no flames whatsoever)

In lugnet.announce.moc, Adrian Drake writes:
Wasn't there some complaining in .space about nothing new happening?  Well,
how about this.  Here's a little ship I built over the weekend after getting
inspired by a couple of the new Bionicle Nuva sets.  First was Palmer's
M-Wing, then my Megaera, and now this.  The fusion between Space and
bionicle continues!

Adrian
--
www.brickfrenzy.com