 Space / 18170
Re: Discussion: More Moonbase Specs: Upper-Level Connections
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Tue, 8 Oct 2002 22:51:36 GMT

20 bricks seems reasonable.  Since I build 6 brick floors (it enables me to
use the 1x2x5 tall bricks as elevator doors, and still have a way to secure
them) that would give me 6 bricks for each level, 2 plates for each floor,
times 3, to 20 bricks off the main floor.

How about getting really crazy with the connecting corridors and do them
diagonally?  Now THAT would look cool, eliminate the worries with left and
right hand corridors, and force people to get really creative with
connections :)

Adrian
--
www.brickfrenzy.com

In lugnet.space, Tony Hafner writes:
I'd love to see some modules supporting a standard connection that is a
couple of floors up from the existing standard.

The most obvious position (suggested over the weekend, possibly by Muffin
Head or Jon Palmer?) would be somewhere around two 5-brick floors up (5
bricks being a de facto standard because that's the height of the corridor's
interior) from the existing connection.  That puts the floor plate of the
upper floor resting on top of a stack of 18 bricks and 2 plates (8 bricks +
1 plate + 5 bricks + 1 plate + 5 bricks).

How about adding one plate of thickness to even it out to 19 bricks?  That
allows easily adding a layer of plates mixed with tiles to make the upper
floor removeable.  How about one more full brick to bring it to a nice round
20 bricks?

In related news, is anyone interested in having the upper connection offset
from the center?  The obvious downside is that now we'd have left-hand
connections in addition to right-hand connections.  The not quite so obvious
upside is that it would look really cool (IMO) to have these connections
offset from the ones below.  I'm thinking that these would be offset
probably 8 studs to the side of the center.

Other opinions?  How about some input from the guys who came up with the
standard?

--
Tony Hafner
www.hafhead.com