 Space / 1552
1551  |  1553
Subject:
I've noticed this
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Sun, 12 Mar 2000 04:00:00 GMT

I think that the reason we all love blacktron and all of the other old sub-
themes is mainly because of their oldness.  I mean, when ice planet 2002 came
out I thought it was completely lame, and I had already started trying to
obtain old futuron sets (I had no idea blacktron I even existed at that
time).  Then, after 3 years when exploriens came out, ice planet looked so
much better just because they weren't available anymore.  TLG is dumb.  They
don't release new space sub-themes, but they focus on stupid themes like
arctic (ugh!), that have no longevity at all.  TLG probably entered its new
incarnation in 1996, with the release of Time Cruisers and Wild West, two
themes that never really made it too far.  In 1998, the long-loved Pirate and
Castle themes died, and the space and aquazone themes seemed to breathe their
last breath.  I liked the old system, with the four main themes, but the new
ones, except for rock raiders, just suck.  I don't know why TLG can't
rerelease the old space subthemes, it would just be beneficial to them but
they have to be total dumbasses and keep making stupid spinoffs of the town
theme.  The Star Wars legos are cool but they just can't match up to the real
star wars toys made by hasbro, because with a regular space set, there is
nothing to compare it to, what you see is basically what the actual thing is.
But with star wars you have the real ships to match up to, and the legos do
not offer the degree of detail that the non-construction lego toys have.  Just
my 2 over inflated cents for this.  Blacktron seemed like a cool theme, though
I never saw any sets in person.  The sets had many things that modern sets
would never include, like the incredible lack of symmetry found in the
renegade, and the message-intercept base's total image.  The futuron theme was
just dying out when I came to the US, and I saw some sets in the catalog.  Now
that I have begun exploring it, I noticed that if you collected all of the
futuron sets, you would have 16 yellow figs, 7 blue ones, but only 3 each of
the black and red ones.  What's up with that?  The first space police also
appealed to me, but again, I was too young to enjoy it.  Looking at some of
the old sets, they are not very different from the second ones except for the
new colors.  The m-tron set really interested me, but I only got the one set,
the smallest one.  My current neighbor bought his son a mega core magnetizer
before he was born, and the kid seems not to be able to understand the true
value of the set.  The blacktron II series were actually my favorite.  The
globular cockpits kicked ass, and the minifig design was awesome.  I think
that everyone thought of blacktron I as too good and each different brought a
theme lower.  The space police II theme was when I got into the serious
collecting.  I bought the largest and the smallest sets.  The galactic
mediator was very large, but not a good set because of its lack of
playability.  The ice planet theme seemed really cool, but after getting the
deep freeze defender for a friend and helping him build it, it looked really
dumb as it was awkward, lacking coordinated colors, and way too fragile.  The
spyrius theme interested me because I was into space then.  However, I didn't
get the three larger sets.  I also got into the unitron set but I lacked
money, especially to buy the giant monorail.  The exploriens and their overall
dorkiness forced me into a lack of space interest and into aquazone, which has
been the case since and I will shut up now.