 Space / 11213
Re: Unitron??
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Mon, 17 Sep 2001 17:14:57 GMT

In lugnet.space, Scott Mangum writes:
I'm relatively new to this web site so maybe this has been discussd before.
I stopped collecting lego right around the Blacktron II, Space Police II
days, so I never had any experience with the later space sets.  It seems
after those days the space lego seemed fractured.  Unitron is such a tiny
line, was the whole concept just unpopular?  It just doesn't seem very
developed.  4 different sets, 1 ship, 1 vehicle and 2 bases.  Any one know
the history with this line?  The sets seem really cool and I was thinking of
getting my hands on some. (at the cost of paying an arm and a leg I'm sure).

What's everyone's thoughts?

Some people didn't care for the color scheme as much as past space subthemes
so it didn't sell as well (seemingly). Opaque yellow seems to be one of the
least favorite colors amongst spaceheads except as trim and warning flags,
although it doesn't bother me. Unitron should really have been the theme
that introduced dark grey as a more prominent color but failed to do so. And
also as you point out, the sets could have been better implemented. The
theme lacked a really good fleet of ships: even 3 or 4 ships would have been
enough to really make it much better. I get the feeling that some key set
designers were transferred or left TLC after Futuron, Juniorization googoo's
were hired, or the theme lacked strong representation some how on the part
of the folks who invent themes (Futura team, IIRC).

Consider the many cool sets of the first space theme and how varied in size
and complexity they all were. The simple yet elegant red and white men, the
black and yellow men, and even the blue, were all a part of that first
"subthemeless" Legoland System known as Space. Futuron was also
well-developed and so continues to be a favorite. An exception is Blacktron
I which didn't have very many sets, but was so dang cool and had sets that
were quite varied amongst themselves.

IMO, it seems that Lego Space does better when all the sets, in whatever
"space" theme it is, hold to a color scheme yet vary widely in types of parts.

BTW, this does not mean that I'm pining for the old days.. everyone knows
there's been plenty of posts about that.  :-)

-Tom McD.
when replying, No Spamcake for youuu!!