 Scala / 80
Re: Crafts at official SCALA website
Newsgroups:
lugnet.scala
Date:
Sun, 26 Mar 2000 17:16:45 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.dear-lego, Suzanne D. Rich writes:

Nothing really original in the content. Build some paper trees or a box. Some
wallpaper or a photo frame. [sigh]
[...]
While I wasn't so impressed by their quality or acuracy in likeness (the
artist needs an anatomy lesson), I do think this makes a nice content addition
for the website. The scenes depict situations in enough detail for some
narrative discussion. A child could write some dialogue for the pictures. But
don't expect much beyond "Shopping is fun." and "I love to pig out on ice
cream sundaes."
[...]
p.s.   http://www.lego.com/scala/creative/
   compare with:
      http://www.barbie.com/mydesign/
      http://www.crayola.com/

I went to the Barbie site, spent a suprisingly fun 10 minutes or so deisgning
my own doll, and I was impressed with both the presentation and content. It
will undoubtably stink of political correctness to some, but I was struck by
the 'choose your characters personality' section. You can choose her occupation
(includes Ballarina, Business Women, Poet, Pilot, Designer, Doctor, etc), what
she likes doing (reading, shopping, teaching, flying, etc), where she lives
(log cabins to city apartment), who she lives with (mother, all other types of
family member including husband, but instead of boyfriend/girlfriend etc, there
is a delightfully ambiguous 'significant other').

I was impressed by the choices given, the freedom and (suprising for me as I
usually feel queasy while walking past the pink Barbie aisle on the way to the
LEGO one) lack of stereotype imposition. Compare with gems like "[Girl] hopes
[boy] will think she looks pretty in her new clothes" from the LEGO website

Having personalised this doll with all sorts of untypical doll-attributes, it
gave me the option of buying my doll "Zargoid", and I almost did - if only I
weren't a poor student!

I had loaded both the Scala and Barbie pages at the same time, so by this time
the Scala one had loaded - I went back to it and was quite disappointed.. for
much of the same reasons as Suzanne. Not because the Barbie site has had more
investment (Scala is a facet of LEGO, as opposed to the main focus.. so a
direct comparison is unfair), the Scala addition is a nice feature, but I think
it needs a bit more work.

Richard