 Robotics / Vision Command / 36
Re: VC Camera with Linux
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.vc
Date:
Wed, 1 Nov 2000 11:02:12 GMT

So am I right in my understanding that the datastream from the USB Lego VC is
the same as a quickcams datastream, plus audio? and what would the audio
portion of the datastream be using for it's format?
Just wondering.. thinking about a Solaris and Linux app if I can get a grasp of
the data stream....
In lugnet.robotics.vc, Hakan Tandogan writes:
Dean Husby <nntp@akasa.bc.ca> writes:

I know the software is Windows Only (it may work with a Linux Windows
Emulator, don't know yet) but has anyone found a driver that works with
Linux for using the camera as a standalone?
(WebCam or Capturing Video)

Please find attached a short mail I sent to Luis Villa for
inclusion in the next version of the Linux-Mindstorms-HOWTO.

Regards,
Hakan

--- cut ---
Hi,

A tidbit of information for the next version of the HOWTO:

The Vision Command camera is an USB Quickcam camera with a
microphone builtin. Unfortunately, there is no real support for
USB Quickcams (a quick google search shows that there is no vendor
support and no documentation :-( ).

Georg Acher (acher@in.tum.de) wrote a quick-and-dirty driver
for the Quickcam Express, and I'm on-and-off trying to hack his
driver to accept the Vision Command camera too, but as for now
without a lot of success.

Georgs Homepage is at <URL:http://www.in.tum.de/~acher>