 Robotics / Spybotics / 96
Re: variables and spybot
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.spybotics
Date:
Mon, 9 Sep 2002 18:13:56 GMT

In lugnet.robotics.spybotics, John Hansen writes:
The other syntax I used was += and -= which are the most optimal means for
writing n = n + something or n = n - something.  There are also *=, /=, |=,
and &=.

Something tricky about MindScript is the way it handles whitespace around
certain things.  I just noticed that I had written:

n^= 0

in my program.  For a minute or two I was thinking that was using a ^=
operator on the variable n.  But there isn't a ^= operator (which might
mean, if it existed, not-equals or exclusive-or-equals).  The MindScript
compiler interprets all of the following identically:

n ^= 0
n ^ = 0
n^ = 0
n^= 0
n^=0

which compiles to:

set 36,-1,2,0
set 36,-1,2,0
set 36,-1,2,0
set 36,-1,2,0
set 36,-1,2,0

So be careful with your carets.

If you are interested in seeing the compiler output, by the way, you can add
-TRACE=15 to the Addition Switches via the Preferences dialog and then
examine the contents of the file vpbtrace.txt in the VPBrick2 subdirectory
under the Mindstorms SDK.

John Hansen
http://members.aol.com/johnbinder/bricxcc.htm