 Robotics / Spybotics / 396
Re: How to run in XP as a non-administrator
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.spybotics, lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Thu, 5 May 2005 13:02:49 GMT

In lugnet.robotics.spybotics, Tim David wrote:
In lugnet.robotics.spybotics, Don Heyse wrote:
I searched, but I can't seem to find the answer to this one.
But someone must have encountered it by now.

I installed the lego spybotic software on an XP Home Edition PC.
Now it only works when logged in as the administrator.  Try to run
it as anyone else and I get,

"The Registry has been corrupted. You need to reinstall the program
so that settings may be restored."

What's up with that?  There must be a way to run this thing as a
normal user, right?  Please help.

I would guess that you need to change the permissions (when logged on
as an admin) on the part of the registry that the spybotic software
uses to allow all users change permissions. How you find out which
bits are needed is a question of (A) searching, (B) trial and error!

Hey thanks.  Permission bits, eh?  Now why didn't I think of that?
Oh well, I gave it a shot last night with Full access for everyone
(I think), and no luck.  I also checked the Spybotics directory
in Program Files and discovered a user.ini file that's updated every
time you run it.  So I ran CACLS and gave everyone Full access
to that file.  Still no luck.

I'm gonna forward this to the dear-lego group.  Maybe there's an
official solution somewhere that I couldn't find.

Don