 Robotics / Scout / 38
Re: Using NQC with Scout
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.scout
Date:
Sat, 4 Dec 1999 13:37:54 GMT

Dave Baum <dbaum@spambgoneenteract.com> wrote in message
news:dbaum-0312992130500001@207-229-150-218.d.enteract.com...
The Lego tools probably also unlock the Scout, but I haven't used them, so
I can't say for sure.  Once unlocked, you're ready to download using NQC.

Yes, the lego tools do this too.

3) NQC doesn't know about the whole local variable thing.  All variables
are equal, and you don't have much control over whether they are global or
local.  I'll probably add some support into NQC to allow better control
over variable placement, but this will take some thought.  BTW, Lego still
hasn't given us *real* local variables - I mean something on a stack.
This precludes any sort of decent subroutine generation and recursion
<sigh>.  The "locals" are still ok for passing parameters to subroutines,
but this is pretty hideous - think of those as "registers" rather than
local variables.

Registers are a good way to think of them. I wish we had a stack too.
We will need to access these for NQC to be really useable though.

4) NQC doesn't know about any of the new bytecodes.  Things like 'playv'
or 'light'.  Overall, most of these should be relatively easy to implement
as inline functions that translate to the NQC assembler.  If you browse
through rcx.h you'll see how this was done for the RCX.  I'll probably add
suitable definitions for Scout functions as well (and a compile time
symbol to determine which target you're on similar to cybermaster support
in NQC).

Sounds Great!

5) NQC's listing is completely divergent from the LASM mnemonics.  I guess
this was inevitable since I just guessed at opcodes.  Now that we have
some official names for the bytecodes, I'll adjust the disassembler to
produce code that looks more like LASM.

Maybe just have an option for LASM mnemonics. Maybe I'm just used to yours,
but I like yours better.  :-)

Thanks a lot for your interest Dave.

--Mike