 Robotics / RCX / ROBOLAB / 465
Re: explain polarity to middle school children
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.robolab
Date:
Wed, 9 Nov 2005 15:50:16 GMT

In lugnet.robotics.rcx.robolab, Elizabeth Mabrey wrote:
I tried to create a couple of images to explain give children, age 10 to 12,
a good understanding of what polarity is.  They all know changing the
direction of the motor.  However, I am trying to provide more details
without going over their head.  Suggestion?

--------
Best Regards,
Elizabeth Mabrey

Hmmmm, that is a challange, because any cursory example leaves out the physics.

I was just thinking perhaps if you likend polarity to a visual of a two lane
highway. Trafic going in opposite directions. Flow and return.

On the surface, Polarity is just the given direction of energy. However, as you
know, the positive/negative properites of the energy itself is the fundemental
difference.

Aside from the magical physics explaination, just like the poles of the earth,
they are opposites. There lays the example.

Hot and Cold are opposites, though they are still related to eachother by the
very nature of their properties. Not so much that they are opposites, rather
their properites determine the nature of the physical extremes.

ok, I see the difficulty, without going in to deep physics, or over their heads.

Good luck!