 Robotics / RCX / ROBOLAB / 372
Re: Robolab Documentation
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.robolab
Date:
Fri, 7 Jan 2005 03:12:07 GMT

The replacement firmware has several modes for displaying the clock.
HH.MM, MM.SS and M.SS.S. The first format is the Lego standard whcih I
find failry uninformative. The clock is reset to zero whenever RCX is
powered up although many IDE's reset it to the current clock value. The
format to display is fully programmable, including back to the standard;
Robolab designers are working on implementing the new variables/sources
to get at this. Meanwhile you could use the "set display" VI to display
something else if you didn't want to see the clock; there's even a
variable to display the clock minutes but I don't know if that is
accessible with the current Robolab.

I made the default M.SS.S because it's a format you couldn't properly
duplicate with the standard firmware (it doesn't update the LCD fast
enough to consistently show every one of the tenth seconds digits.

The behavior you experience is expected. Clock resets to zero on power
up. This is also the situation (I believe) on the standard firmware.

The power down interval is programmable, just like with the standard
firmware. A value of zero indicates no power down. There's also a nice
new feature "borrowed" from the laptop world to say "no power down when
running on AC adaptor" (for those of you with 1.0 RCXs, otherwise use
the programmed time. I determine whether on AC adaptor by looking at the
battery voltage for a higher value that AC adaptor puts out when
compared to battery power.

You can c
"Mitchell Lichtenberg" <mlichtsr@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
In lugnet.robotics.rcx.robolab, Dick Swan wrote:
Several recent posts have complained about the lack of Robolab
documentation. "Engineering with Lego Bricks and Robolab" seems like
pretty good reference / tutorial handbook. It's available from
http://www.collegehousebooks.com/lego_bricks.htm.

Here's a question I hope can be answered without Robolab
Documentation. It's
based on a question that I asked back on Dec 11:

"I followed instructions replacing firmware.txt with the replacement
file as
instructed.  The download went smoothly,immediately upon finishing
(two beeps)
the LCD screen started counting in M.SS.S. format indicating a
successful
download.  It shut down (turned off the RCX) at 5.00.0
which was the default shutdown time."

HOWEVER, when the on/off button is pressed again (to turn it on) the
count
starts all over again  Is this just the way the replacement firmware
operates?
Is there some way to turn off the counter in the LCD screen - since it
serves no
purpose?  Or perhaps should I reload?