 Robotics / RCX / ROBOLAB / 359
RE: Define Event icon...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.robolab
Date:
Mon, 3 Jan 2005 12:40:20 GMT

Happy New Year!

Elizabeth, you are a few steps ahead of me in working with
'Events'.  Could you explain, in plain English, what exactly
an 'Event' is?  ...it's not a 'State'
because it can be a constant or a variable.  Yet you can have
an 'Event Fork'
which is either 'true' or 'false'.  What is an 'Event'?

Jerry

Hi Jerry,

Event Handling can be a long chapter to talk about.   I am sure you will
find a more well-explained chapter in some OS or just language book such as
C++, or even in Java.

Briefly speaking, event is a piece of real time information, such as a mouse
click, or even simply entering a key.   It is not a constant state, but a
condition which can be detected as soon as it occurs (well,... virtually
immediately).  The "event fork" that you talk about in Robolab is not a
"task split" nor an event, but is simply a condition.  It is "NOT" an
triggered event, it is used "AFTER" an event has been triggered.

Now,  events are great as it is processor power friendly.  I like to use
events instead of dedicating a task constantly monitoring a condition, such
as "light value is getting higher than a threshold".