 Robotics / RCX / ROBOLAB / 280
Re: failure in communicaton between RCX & IR Tower
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.robolab
Date:
Mon, 1 Dec 2003 18:08:53 GMT

Nathan,

I have done this trouble shooting step, ie. changing the timing.
Unfortunately, it did not work.
But, thank you though.

Well, the  a W2Kpro virtual machine approach did not work either... I guess
my only alternative will be getting the win2kpro installed on the box...
ugh!

--
Elizabeth Mabrey

----- Original Message -----
From: "Nathan Colyer" <ncoly1@eq.edu.au>
To: <emabrey@storming-robots.com>
Cc: <lugnet.robotics.rcx.robolab@lugnet.com>
Sent: Monday, December 01, 2003 7:16 AM
Subject: Re: failure in communicaton between RCX & IR Tower

G'day Elizabeth - thanks for your reply, and advice re Toshiba laptops. • As
the posts from lugnet.robotics indicate, you are not alone with the USB
Tower problem.  This was just posted to that list, thought it may be • useful
- might avoid the need for a windows update.

Hope its all working by now!
Nathan
Hi Rob,

I have a Toshiba Laptop with a USB 2.0 and I bought a USB Tower at • Bricklink
because my Laptop doesn't have a serial output (I think that they do not • make
laptops with it anymore). At my first try my computer didn't lock up, but • I
couldn't use the fast firmware download and BrickCC and NQC couldn't • transmit
some programs to my RCX (It could transmit some tiny programs, but it • gave an
error when I tried to transmit the 9_rotation.nqc example program from • brickCC).
I solved the problem going to the LEGO USB Tower at the control panel,
swithing to the Advanced Tab and setting the Read Timeout (1st Byte) to • 300
msec.
Now, everything seems to work fine. I just would like to understand why • this
change fixes my problem?

Hope that this helps,

Ildefonso.