 Robotics / RCX / ROBOLAB / 226
Re: usb tower failed in XP!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.robolab
Date:
Thu, 16 Oct 2003 13:38:55 GMT

After I have done trouble-shooting for hours on my toshiba-laptop, the point
of failure seems to be between the ir tower & the rcx...:

- the ir tower did insteed install properly... I have verified with the
device manager as well.
- the administrator screen from robolab recognized the usb connection, and
label it as usb#1.  However, it failed to communicate with the RCX.  All
units, including the laptop and the RCX are connected through AC adapter, so
it is not the lack of power problem.
- ir tower green light keeps blinking and trying to communicate with the
RCX, but it still failed.
- however, I tested with my two other PCs (desktop) and another laptop, the
ir tower communicate with the rcx just fine.  Now, the difference is this:
these 3 boxes have usb 1.1 driver installed; while my toshiba-laptop has usb
2.0 installed.
- but usb2.0 is backward compatible.  As a matter of fact, all my other usb
1.1 devices, such as the mouse,  the digital camera, compact flach reader,
etc., they all work just fine with my toshiba-laptop (w/usb2.0).
- so I suspect the ir tower driver acts up if the usb host controller is
2.0.

Again, any comment and suggestion will be greatly apprecitated.

--
EM