 Robotics / RCX / ROBOLAB / 222
Re: Robolab Investigator
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics, lugnet.robotics.rcx.robolab
Date:
Thu, 3 Jul 2003 04:41:40 GMT

Jerry Kalpin wrote:

I'm struggling to figure out Robolab 2.5 Investigator and have two questions,
for anyone who can help:

Gee, I hate to ask this, but how do you open a new file?  When you click on 'New
Project' you seem to get a low level template.  You can change to (say) Level 4
and open a new file there, but the low level 'template' seems to remain after
you close your new file and exit.

When you click on new project, you will be prompted for a file name to
save your project file (with .llb extension).

Your project then opens with the program area showing a Level 1
template. Changing to Level 4 or 5 gives you a collapsed Inventor
template. Click on it to expand to show the Inventor diagram window
where you write your program using the usual Inventor commands with data
logging thrown in.

To save the program that you have written as part of the project, click
on File/save at the top left most corner.

Note: the program window also has a File/save but this will save the
program as a separate file (with .vi extension) and not as part of the
project.

Close your project. When you re-open your project, the program area will
show a collapsed version of  your program. Click on it and voila, it
will expand to fill the program window.

Second question... Is it reasonable (in level 4) to have a program to drive a
robot with second and third tasks to collect data into individual datasets
during a run?  Then, how do you access those data sets?

Yes, for example, you can have a bot follow a line with 2 light sensors
and collect data from the 2 light sensors during the run. Go to the
Upload area to retrieve the data which will be displayed nicely on a
chart.

Doing a 'Google' search I see lots of Grade 6 projects using Investigator.  What
I am missing is a basic overview of how the system is set up.  Need a
textbook!!!

There's a Robolab Teachers Guide #2 that deals with the Investigator
option but it is a reference guide not a how-to book.

Persevere!
--
C S Soh
http://www.ozbricks.net/cssoh1