 Robotics / RCX / ROBOLAB / 150
Re: learning RoboLab (long)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.robolab, lugnet.edu, lugnet.dacta, lugnet.books, lugnet.robotics.scout, lugnet.robotics.vll
Date:
Sat, 15 Dec 2001 01:42:53 GMT

In lugnet.robotics.rcx.robolab, Miles Gentry writes:

3.d.  "Intelligent House Set Activity Pack"
#909795 ages 9+ $25 US*
Catalog says:  Introductory pilot level 1-4 programming examples.
Intermediate and advanced programming examples for ROBOLAB Programmer and
Investigator software.  Group project, "Home of the Future," and five
additional activities involving use of angle, temperature, and touch sensors.

I haven't seen this but I imagine that it is similar to the Control Lab
version, only taking advantage of the multi-processing capability of the
RCX.  At least that was my $0.02 during the brainstorming session for this
packet. :)

3.e.  "Team Challenge Set Activity Pack"
#909790 ages 11+ $30 US*
Catalog does not say much about what it covers in Robolab.
Does anyone know about it?
Not the same document as #900055, above 3.b, but uses the same parts set,
i.e., Team Challenge Set.

If this is the one that I saw, then it is some kind of challenge that
involves tin cans being pushed in or out of a circle, or some-such.

3.f.  "Amusement Park Set Activity Pack"
#999725 ages 8+ $30 US*
Catalog does not say much about what it covers in Robolab.
Does anyone know about it?
RoboLab software CDROM already includes sample programs for models from this
set.

This is the first activity pack that they had, I think.  I used the first
several cards in the stack in the 98-99 school year with my 6-8th grade
students.  The beginning cards give a very orderly introduction to robotics
in general, generate good class discussions, and give the students something
to write on and pass in for grading, which is usually the main factor in
them actually doing something.  it therefore provides a nice transition
between normal classwork and the open-endedness of pure hands-on robotic
exploration.

7. NASA's Lego Design & Programming System web site
http://ldaps.ivv.nasa.gov/

If this doesn't work (a teacher told me it didn't the other day), then use
http://ldaps.arc.nasa.gov/ which is the new official name now that the
servers are housed at AMES.

Ben's book works with a RIS set plus other sensors.
(which is equivalent to the LEGO Dacta Team Challenge set plus other sensors)

* Where To Buy:

- Dacta RoboLab products, e.g., RoboLab software, Robolab sets, activity
packs, RCX, RCX sensors, movie maker set with camera, USB IR tower, and
spare parts, at Pitsco Lego Dacta www.pitsco-legodacta.com or 1-800-362-4308
(or outside of the U.S. at
http://www.lego.com/dacta/addresses/wheretobuy.asp -- wow, did that from
memory.  shows you how many times I put that as a footnote in the book!)

- Ben's book at bookstores, not likely found on shelves but easy to order.
yeah that annoys me.  when I do see my book in the store, it is usually in
"General Computing" or something, along with palm pilot books and other
random things like that, while other LEGO robotics books are on proud
display on a stand or something, or on a shelf that makes sense like "robotics".