 Robotics / RCX / pbFORTH / 596
595  |  597
Subject:
Q for Ralph
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.pbforth
Date:
Fri, 9 Jan 2004 04:30:06 GMT

Why, exactly, does pbForth use a terminal emulator for the PC to talk to
the RCX?

Although I admit I find it an interesting concept (it's got a certain
nostalgic appeal, at least for me), the design seems to encourage
leaving the RCX on for extended periods, or even while developing,
which, considering that the new RCX's don't have an AC adapter, is not a
particularly good idea when it comes to battery consumption.

On a related note, and I realize that it may not be worth it, but how
much extra space could be saved on the brick if the ascii source
compilation of Forth code were offloaded from the brick, and instead
left up to a PC to perform?