 Robotics / RCX / pbFORTH / 550
549  |  551
Subject:
Lazy newbieish question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.pbforth
Date:
Wed, 17 Jul 2002 21:36:57 GMT

If I wasn't in a hurry with so many things to do in the next two days, I
would figure this out for myself. My apologies for such a simple question.

We're wrapping a lot sensor input stuff at a higher level of abstraction
than the raw pbForth words. This makes sense; a Forther would probably do
the same. For example, we're providing

(get-light-value 'PORT2)

expands to

3 1 SENSOR_TYPE
128 1 SENSOR_MODE
1 SENSOR_CLEAR
1 SENSOR_READ DUMP
1 SENSOR_VALUE

effectively. Perhaps this is a bit much every time the programmer checks the
light sensor, but that's what our initial compilation process converts the
abstraction into.

What I'm not having much luck with (quickly) is how to handle the touch
sensors similarly. That is, I need to logically or some values, and the
correct combination is... _either_ EDGE and BOOLEAN _or_ PULSE and BOOLEAN?

That is, could I provide an abstraction like

(pressed-or-released? 'PORT1)

and expand that into

1 0 SENSOR_TYPE
32 64 AND 0 SENSOR_MODE
0 SENSOR_CLEAR
0 SENSOR_READ DROP
0 SENSOR_BOOL

?

Currently, I'm not having much luck with this, and wonder if any of the
people who have been programming the Mindstorm (natively) in Forth for a
while might have some insight on how best to map some high-level touch
sensor abstractions to the underlying Forth?

CC:s on replies are appreciated.

Thanks much as always,

Matt