 Robotics / RCX / pbFORTH / 214
213  |  215
Subject:
first impressions about pbForth
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.pbforth
Date:
Mon, 22 Nov 1999 13:17:16 GMT

Hi!

After fiddling around with pbForth this weekend, I have to confess I have mixed
feelings about it. Maybe not everybody will be thrilled to share them, but
maybe I am doing something wrong and I would appreciate the input...

The language itself was not so difficult to remember... it is still not easy to
switch my brain to Forth mode, but not too difficult either... and it's cool!

One of the features I was keen to experience was the greater ease of use and
speed, because no compilation is necessary. Weel, that went not so good... For
one thing, it wears off the batteries to have the RCX on while developing...
For another, on my PC it is faster to compile a legOS aplication than
downloading the corresponding pbForth application (with comments and all). So
while Forth is excellent for incremental development and testing, I am (still?)
the slave of another way of structuring the work...

Then I got problems with turning the RCX off... well, it did go off, but the
display remained lit... Sergey sent a file he uses to have a more complete
shutdown, but it behaved a little erratically (only sometimes)... and thus I
had to upload the firmware about every other time I wanted to test anything
new...
Maybe it would be interesting to write an application framework - I suppose
there are many things that everybody has to write from scratch, since the RCX
interface is so "bare to the metal"....

Otherwise, it was a cool and refreshing experience, and I can only say "Thank
you Ralph for the great job!"

/Vlad