 Robotics / RCX / NQC / 987
Re: X Windows front-end for NQC?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc
Date:
Thu, 22 Feb 2001 04:22:13 GMT

In article <G94Bpo.2op@lugnet.com>, "Richard Sutherland"
<richard@webbox.com> wrote:

Ultimately, I would like to see a FLTK front end for NQC that I could run
on
either my desktop box or the Agenda.  Is anyone currently working on
porting
NQC to the Agenda (Linux VR) or an X based front end?  If not, I could
start
on it and I do not suspect it will be difficult to get the command line
version running with the tower dangling off the Agenda.  We will have to
wait for some of the IR driver code to make NQC use the internal IR, but
starting the porting process now seems like a fair idea.

I'm not familiar with the Agenda, but if you have a gcc compiler for it,
several hundred K of heap space, and basic file I/O, then the port of
NQC itself generally comes down to one thing:  serial interface class
(platform/PSerial_xxx.cpp).

For that, if it is a basic Unix style interface, then the existing
serial class should work fine (perhaps just tweak the Makefile to point
at the correct default device name).  Otherwise, you'll need to write
your own implementation of the PSerial class.  This is almost trivial if
you already know the OS calls for serial access...you just have to
supply the appropriate wrapper functions for open,close,read,write,etc.

Dave

--
reply to: dbaum at enteract dot com