 Robotics / RCX / NQC / 975
Re: nqc download firmware linux
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc
Date:
Fri, 9 Feb 2001 05:01:54 GMT

In article <G85EDK.5rw@lugnet.com>, "christian" <ch.guertler@sbg.at>
wrote:

Hi;

I'm using RCX1.0 on linux (kernel 2.2.16; SuSE 7.0), nqc-version 2.0.2
and I
have troubles with downloading the firmware under linux. I always have to
change to Win98 and then the download works fine.
On Linux I say at the prompt:

nqc -firmware firm0309.lgo

but the answer is "no reply from rcx".
The fact is, that downloading of self-made nqc-programs under Linux works
fine,
but downloading of firmware fails.

The only thing I could think of that would cause a difference between
firmware downloading and program downloading is if the serial driver for
some reason introduces delays during long serial transmissions.  The
firmware download generally uses larger packets than program download,
so if gaps were being introduced, they'd be much more likely to cause
problems with firmware.

If you want to try a smaller block size, find the line

#define kFirmwareChunk  200

in RCX_Link.cpp and change it to a smaller number.

You may want to update to a more recent version of NQC.  I don't think
it will fix your problem, but you never know.  2.0.2 is a LONG time ago,
and I really don't remember all of the tweaks I've added in the
intervening 16 months or so.

Dave Baum

--
reply to: dbaum at enteract dot com