 Robotics / RCX / NQC / 911
910  |  912
Subject:
Positioning VIA 5th Wheel
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc
Date:
Thu, 11 Jan 2001 11:18:57 GMT

I worked on a robotics project in which my program controlled a very big
(18,000 pounds) piece of equipment and need to know its position. It was used
for railroad track maintenance and road on the tracks. Even though this was a
one dimensional problem rotation counting was difficult because of wheel
slippage. The solution was a "5th" wheel. The rotation count was placed on a
non-powered wheel that has a very rough wheel surface and just enough weight to
turn accurately. The key was the dedicated wheel. Since the wheel was only used
for rotation counting it could be engineered specifically for that task. Wheel
slippage was a big problem in measurement in this application because the top
of a rail is very, very slick. A big safety rule for the track repair people
(call maintenace of way) is never step on the rail.

Lester