 Robotics / RCX / NQC / 866
Re: Connection between two different teams of robots
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc
Date:
Thu, 23 Nov 2000 08:10:24 GMT

"Giancarlo Boi" <carlo_boi@yahoo.it> wrote:
We are trying to make 4 robots play some kind of football game. There • should
be two different teams (2 robots per team)and they shouldn't communicate
with each other. Is it possible to have a robust communication system
relying on a different carrier frequency for each team?
I need them to communicate with their partner asking for cover when • rushing
with the ball, and that means there should be no interference between the • teams.
Did someone already try this kind of communication? It think it should • work,
even tought the game could be a little slow.

Hi Giancarlo.

I think you can't avoid phisical interference between the IR messages of the
two teams, because there's no way to change the carrier frequency of the IR.
With the RCX 2 firmware you can change it, but from what I understand this
affects only the "Serial" group of functions that are designed just to send
data packets, not to receive them. Communication RCX to RCX is still  based
on the single byte messages (hope someones prove me wrong :-) ).

If 128 single byte messages per team are enough for your needs, you can
simply write the software so team 1 handle messages from 0 to 127, while
team 2 those from 128 to 255, both ignoring the ones from the other team.

Ciao
Mario

Web page: http://www.geocities.com/~marioferrari
LUGNET member page:  http://www.lugnet.com/people/members/?m=22