 Robotics / RCX / NQC / 636
Re: communication brick <-> PC
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc
Date:
Sun, 4 Jun 2000 17:08:02 GMT

In article <slrn8jkshh.4nt.mattdm@jadzia.bu.edu>, mattdm@mattdm.org
wrote:

Thomas Driehorn <driehorn@tfh-berlin.de> wrote:
Is it right that the brick can't talk to the PC by using the NQC -
Message
Instruction ? I made the brick send messages continiously but I don't
get any
output from the IR tower towards my PC. I have a faint idea that the
message
function is only for talking between two bricks by means of using a
different
protocol to the one usually used.

It can be used, but the problem is that the tower shuts off fairly
quickly
if it doesn't hear anything from the computer. So the listening program
would need to be sending keep-alive messages periodically.

I think that Dave will put something like this in a future version of
NQC,
but it probably won't be until after the compiler is separated from the
communications part. (The interface is getting too cluttered.)

My current thoughts are to add "listen" support to rcxlib/RCX_Link, but
not add anything else to the nqc tool itself.  This would facilitate
writing a small wrapper program around rcxlib/RCX_Link that could
send/receive messages without cluttering nqc even more.  At the same
time, building this capability into the standard rcxlib implementation
would mean both programs could share in any future improvements to the
overall comm system.

I was planning on working on this, then RCX 2.0 popped up.  As soon as I
finish with RCX 2.0 I can get back to some of these other features.

Dave Baum

--
reply to: dbaum at enteract dot com