 Robotics / RCX / NQC / 39
Re: NQC tutorial available
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc, lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 30 Mar 1999 05:13:10 GMT

In article <36FF4B0C.79BFE984@cs.uu.nl>, Mark Overmars <markov@cs.uu.nl> wrote:

In my opinion NQC is the easiest way to program the Lego Robots.
But people that never programmed before seem to think it is
difficult (maybe because it sounds like C). So I decided to
write an extensive tutorial on how to use NQC. The tutorial does
not assume any prior knowledge on programming. It contains about 40
example programs. You can find the tutorial at my Lego page:

Thanks Mark.  I've been somewhat negligent on documentation myself.

I've been very impressed with the dedication of the NQC user community.
Originally, NQC was just a hack I threw together for my own use.  At first
I resisted releasing it publicly because I didn't want to be bothered with
a lot of questions.  I further resisted making the source freely available
- again because I didn't want to have to answer tons of questions.

Rodd Zurcher sent me URLs discussing Bazaars and Cathedrals, and how open
source is "the way".  You just release stuff out there into the world and
suddenly there are tons of people enhancing and extending your work.
Share information freely, and others will contribute.  I was skeptical.
But Rodd was persuasive, so I released NQC as freeware, then shortly
afterwards as free software.

In the intervening months, my skepticism has vanished.  Mark's
contributions alone have been worth whatever effort I've had to put forth
in managing releases, answering e-mails, etc.  Thank you, Mark.  And
thanks to all of the other contributors.

Dave

--
reply to: dbaum at enteract dot com