 Robotics / RCX / NQC / 255
Re: Using Cybermaster with NQC in MPW on macintosh.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc
Date:
Sun, 28 Nov 1999 21:52:45 GMT

I haven't used CyberMaster myself, but I know someone was able to get it
working with a Mac.  CyberMaster expects DTR to be asserted and RTS to be
cleared.  I'm not sure if "asserted" means +9 or -9.  I know data lines
(TXD, RXD) are inverted, but I don't know if this extends to handshake
lines as well.

Try a simple "ping" test in verbose mode:

nqc -c -v -raw 10

If this fails, e-mail me the verbose output - perhaps I can tell what is
going wrong.  Based on the sequence of lights you mentioned, I suspect
transmission from Mac to Cybermaster is fine, and the reverse path is
somehow being munged.

Dave Baum

p.s.  Just a side note on converting Mac RS-422 to standard RS-232.
RS-422 uses voltage differential rather than absolute voltage.  As a
result there are pairs for Tx and Rx (TX+, TX-, RX+, RX-).  Generally, you
can ignore TX+ and treat TX- as an RS-232 TXD.  On the RX side, however,
you need to supply both RX+ and RX-.  You can do this by using RXD as RX-,
and using ground as RX+.

In article <FLwJzB.FnK@lugnet.com>, "Ian Kilburn" <ikilburn@access.ch> wrote:

Hi all,

I am having problems talking to my cybermaster from MPW on the mac.

Heres my set up

Mac B&W g3 with gport card providing the serial port.
mac modem cable (mini 8 pin to DB-25) connected to serial port

DB-25 from modem cable connected to rs232 breakout box

breakout box configuration
+9V applied to pin 20 DTR
-9V applied to pin 4 RTS
0V applied to pin 7 SG
pin 20 and 4 open on breakout box dip switches all others closed

output of breakout box into a DB-25 to DB-9 pin adapter and then lego cable
and RF tower.

The above hardware, minus the 9V power supplies and with the breakout box
switches set to closed, works with my mindstorms RCX and IR tower. From MPW
I can download firmware and programs using nqc on the command line.

When I try the same with the cybermaster and RF tower, for instance

"nqc -c -raw 120000"

the light on the tower flashes a few times, followed by the light on the
mobile unit. Then the message appears in the MPW shell

"No reply from CyberMaster"

Has someone got this setup working and can suggest where to look for
problems?
I am not sure about unlocking the firmware on the cybermaster does this have
to be done separately or is it included in the serial communication?
The configuration of the two 9V supplies on pins 4 and 20 does not seem to
make any difference to the results, so my hardware setup is probably also
suspect.

Thanks

Ian Kilburn

--