 Robotics / RCX / NQC / 1846
Re: Memory question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc
Date:
Tue, 13 Dec 2005 22:17:41 GMT

In lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc, Brian Davis wrote:

   Most functions in NQC are in-line functions, so in a sense they probably
*are* in main(). One thing I do is place all my initialization code (as much as
possible) into in-line functions. That way, when the compiler runs through, it
can allocate variable space as best it can, reusing variables in different
functions as they fall in and out of scope. Saves me from running out of
variables in some cases.

So what your saying is I should split my program into more functions not less,
so that the local ints are destroyed and available for re-use. That's a great
idea, it's the complete opposite of my question but fulfills my goal perfectly
:-).

   Another thing you can do is have a separate program do all your
initialization, and then have the main program run "preinitialized" as it were
(thanks SMART). The standard firmware doesn't zero-out global variables between
runs, so *as long as the variable lists correspond*, the global variables
initialized by one program will be accessible to another.

I'd never thought of that as a way of re-using variables before. I might try it
in future projects if need be.

Thanks

Steve