 Robotics / RCX / NQC / 1682
Re: Straight moving with only one rotation sensor
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc
Date:
Thu, 10 Jun 2004 15:33:06 GMT

Have you come across the adder/subtractor drive? Although it make the gear
chain slightly more complex - it may mean you can leave out the sensor
entirely.

The drive has two inputs (A and B), and two outputs - one being A+B, and
the other A-B. So if you rotate input A, both outputs should go at the
same speed. Then by rotating B, you will be able to steer the robot.
This would also require some changes to your robots programming to drive -
but you will probably agree- it is the actual mechanics that are a little
complicated.

Look at http://carol.wins.uva.nl/~leo/lego/diff.html for more information.
I have an adapted version sat on my desk at home - at some point I will
build an LDraw version and place it on OrionRobots.

Danny
--
OrionRobots.co.uk - Robots from Sol to Sirius.

Sounds good.  I use a CyberMaster for the movement part of the robot
because it
has tachos on each internal motor.  I modify the power settings for the
motors
to keep the robot (reasonably) straight, rather than stop and start them.
If
you tried that what sort of results did you get?

For the CyberMaster I get good results for drives of about 20cm+ - shorter
drives tend not to balance out.

Of course, getting the wheels on each side to travel the same distance
doesn't
mean you've gone straight :-)