 Robotics / RCX / NQC / 1618
Re: Receiving messages on PC
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc
Date:
Sat, 31 Jan 2004 22:52:51 GMT

Thanks!  As soon as I get a chance, I'll try this out and let you know how it
works.

-Dave

I have just posted MSGMON, a very rough (!!!) WIN32 command-line program that
will receive one-byte messages from the RCX using a USB tower.  This should get
you started, although it will need a lot of work to make this into anything
resembling a useful library.  You can download the program with source code from
the following location:

  http://www.drvegetable.com/download/samplecode/

The important points are:
1. Open the LEGO USB tower using CreateFile() with the filename "\\.\LEGOTOWER1"
2. Read bytes from the tower and look for valid SendMessage commands in the
input stream
3. Whenever a valid SendMessage is detected, print out a message containing the
received byte.

As I said this is very rough and would need a lot of work in order to be used
with an RS-232 tower or to recognize other messages.

Let me know if you have any questions or how you make out with this.  I hope
this helps, and good luck!

- Chris.