 Robotics / RCX / NQC / 1439
1438  |  1440
Subject:
Release of Linux Driver for Lego USB IR Tower & an NQC Build for it.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc, lugnet.robotics.rcx
Date:
Wed, 21 Aug 2002 01:21:34 GMT

Just thought I should give everyone a heads up; I've thrown a preliminary
file release of the LegoUSB package onto Sourceforge.

This provides two things at the moment:

A patch for NQC 2.4 r2 (yes, I realise i'm a patchlevel behind)
A Linux driver for the USB IR Tower.

At the moment this work is almost entirely the same as Bret Thaeler's driver
released in February; I've branched his code and I'm working heavily on it.

There will be userspace configuration and testing tools and probably a well
documented 'how to talk to the USB IR Tower under linux' reference soon.

I have downloaded a full firmware (replaced a LeJOS 2.0.0 install with RCX
2.0 Firmware via NQC under Linux) with this driver & NQC patch, and done
various program installs, etc.  I am so far very happy with its
functionality.

I am of course going to get it to be perfect.

These files are available at the SourceForge project page:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/legousb

Documentation for building and running stuff is in the various distribution
files.

There is also a binary build of patched NQC for the faint of heart.

Should anyone have any questions please feel free to contact me.

Regards,

Brendan W. McAdams