 Robotics / RCX / NQC / 1335
Re: Control the RCX from AppleScript
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc
Date:
Tue, 29 Jan 2002 21:05:44 GMT

In lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc, Barney Hilken writes:
Version 1.4b1 of Robot Controller is now available, with full AppleScript
support. Inputs, outputs, program slots, datalog, variables and messages can
all be controlled from scripts. Ideal for use with VideoScript (does
everything which Vision Command can do, and more) or AppleScript Studio
(write control windows for your robot).

Download it from:  http://homepage.mac.com/barneyhilken

Wow Barney, this sounds great, even though I don't yet do the whole LEGO
robotics thing myself yet. Actually, I'm writing this response to try to
connect a couple of other things to you and your work, and hope you might
have some input for the community.

First, you say that your script controller supports the Vision Command
protocols, does that mean it can receive the video signal from the
Mindstorms/Studios camera? if so, what driver(s) does it use for the camera
output? Many folks are trying to get that camera to work on their Macs...

Second, if you are at all interested in LDraw, I am a ringleader for the
LDraw for the Macintosh Campaign (LDMC-http://homepage.mac.com/ldmc/)...we
are looking for Mac programmers to help get us an LDraw editor (and more) on
the Mac. Might you have any thoughts in this arena? You obviously know your
way around Interface Builder and Apple Script, do you have any other
experience in programming for MacOS 9/X? Might you be able to help with our
projects?

I'm going to try your controller at BricksWest in a couple of weeks, just to
show off on my Mac while everyone else is working on the Windows machines!

Matt