 Robotics / RCX / legOS / 890
889  |  891
Subject:
Windows/DOS Cross-Compiler - Finally!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Thu, 2 Mar 2000 20:33:38 GMT

After two months of struggling, I have finally been able to build a
complete set of h8/300 cross compiler tools that work natively in a
Window's DOS box.  So what does this mean?  If you don't run Windows
9x/NT/2k, absolutely nothing.  What this means for the Windows world,
however, is a big deal.  We don't need to use the pseudo UNIX shell from
Cygnus (Cygwin).  Nor do we need to use highly modified makefiles to get
past the command line limit as found in my WinlegOS package (with a few
very minor exceptions).

All the tools are native DOS 32-bit programs without that pesky command
line limit that plagued my previous Windows package.   With the
exception of WinNT, long filenames are also fully supported when run
inside a Windows's DOS box (there is a fix for WinNT, fortunately).
Also, programming newbies can stick to the more familiar Windows and DOS
box - the Unix environment can be a little intimidating to a beginner.

These tools are based on the GNU programs, fully ported for use in DOS
and Windows.  The compiler is produced from GCC 2.95.2.  The utility
programs (linker, librarian, etc.) are based on binutils 2.9.1.  All the
useful GNU tools are readily available from
http://www.delorie.com/djgpp.  After some additional testing I will
package up the toolset and make it available.  I will also compile a
list of modules to download from DJGPP to create a working legOS
development environment.

Off the top of my head, the minimum modules to download are:

djdev203.zip        ; the basic DJGPP package
mak3781b.zip      ; MAKE program
fil316b.zip           ; file utilities, e.g. cp & chmod
pat25b.zip           ; patch program, needed to apply patches
+ the new DJGPP hosted cross compiler & tools

Rossz

P.S. I hope I can remember all the steps to reproduce the builds!