 Robotics / RCX / legOS / 841
840  |  842
Subject:
EGCS v. GCC
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Wed, 16 Feb 2000 06:45:06 GMT

Why was egcs chosen over gcc?  It is my understanding that the egcs
extensions have been incorporated back into gcc as of version 2.9.5.  Also,
egcs development has been discontinued.

I'm curious because I am working on a DJGPP (32-bit DOS) port of the cross
compiler.  If I am successful, I will be able to the drop major changes I
was forced to make to the primary makefiles for legOS.

The DJGPP based compiler tools overcome all of the problems with the
DOS/Windows based tools.  For example:

1. Virtually unlimited command line length when MAKE launches a tool.
2. GNU based tools, so everything will work the same whether run on Linux or
Windows.
3. Lots of utility programs, e.g. Make, Sed, and so on.
4. Smart handling of slashes!  This is often a big problem when working with
other implementations of the tools from GNU.

Rossz