 Robotics / RCX / legOS / 730
729  |  731
Subject:
more on the rotation sensor
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Thu, 27 Jan 2000 21:01:00 GMT

I did some more experiments last night.  My conclusion is that the majority of
apparent 2-state transitions never actually occur (that is: the sensor does not
actually travel through 2 states between two consecutive sensor readings).

The order of the states (as defined by legOS, in order of increasing raw value)
is:  2, 1, 3, 0.  0 is unambiguous:  the sensor always returns 1023 under all
conditions.  The other three are large ranges of values from the sensor.  These
ranges (with my patch) are contiguous, because the battery level and length of
connecting wire skew the return values up and down.

In order to move 2 states you either have to have a jump from 0->2 or 2->0, or
a 1->3 or 3->1.  The 2/0 transitions never happen accidentally because they are
so far apart.  What I think is happening is that in some cases the observed
sensor value for a 1-state or a 3-state is landing right in the middle and
being misinterpreted.  When I captured the raw sensor values at the instant the
glitch occurred, they were almost always right on the upper edge of the 1 range
or the lower edge of the 3 range.  These readings don't show up if you move the
rotation sensor slowly through all of the values (at the same battery strength
and with the same connecting wires).

So the question is what to do about these transient readings.  I still need to
gather more data to understand what's going on...

--Ben