 Robotics / RCX / legOS / 551
Re: firmdl3 problem? - Tower not responding
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Tue, 7 Dec 1999 20:23:56 GMT

On Tue, 7 Dec 1999, Martin Thomas wrote:
I am having problems making firmdl3 work..
I have compiled it on a Linux box (Mandrake 6.0)
and I get 'tower not responding' but the LED is
coming on..

"Tower not responding" really means that it can't write to the tower.
Check batteries and the range.

Also, after that error message, control does not
return to the terminal.

Weird. As far as I can tell, exit is called correctly in all
circumstances where "tower not responding" could be generated.

After playing around a
little, I found that if I removed the tower wakeup
section then the RCX would flash the download icon
briefly then it would fail with 'bad IR echo' and
again, control would not return to the terminal..

Again, it would appear here that the stream should be flushed and control
returned (via an exit) even if the write fails.

Tried firmdl also and got 'failed to delete firmware'..

Funny, a student had similar problems last night (with firmdl). No idea
if his problem was related, since he never tried it with firmdl3 and half
an hour later it magically worked (good for him since he had a robot due
this morning.)

Later, I am going to try from win95.. just to double
check reception..

Good idea :)

Any ideas or should I try NQC instead?

Well, NQC won't help you with .lx files, unfortunately. However, it might
provide yet another diagnostic check.

This seems to be very strange behavior- in particular, the bad exit calls
seem to indicate (to me) something in the system (HW or OS related).
However, hopefully you can check the HW too. Please let us know-
considering all the recent HW problems we've had here, I'd be interested
to see if this one has a solution.
-Luis

     Profanity is the one language that all programmers understand.
                  -Anonymous