 Robotics / RCX / legOS / 478
Re: legOS on Win95
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Tue, 16 Nov 1999 06:30:47 GMT

On Tue, 16 Nov 1999, michael yates wrote:
We are a couple of 4th year Computer Science students who have been given the
enviable task of programming a set of 6 RCX's to do something "impressive"
(please forward any cool ideas for a project to
michael.yates@studentmail.newcastle.edu.au) anyhow in an attempt to start
along the path we have been investigating running legOS. Unfortunately we can
not seem to get it to compile under win95. We have followed a number of
howto's but it just doesn't seem to work. At the moment we are restricted to
developing under win95 (we do also have a solaris machine but we have read
that it too has some trouble getting legOS to run).

There was a report at one point that someone could get the cross-compiler
running on Solaris, but that never materialized. My own half-hearted
attempts built binutils (a beta version which might not have actually
worked anyway) but never made headway on gcc. On the other hand, I have
learned at least one relevant trick since then- I seriously suggest
trying Solaris again, and seeing what happens- I may be able to help.

Anyhow has anyone gotten legOS 0.2.2 to run in win95?

I don't know. I was trying to help someone else earlier tonight (over the
phone) and was not able to help them.

We are trying to compile the distribution - the legOS site also has a link to
"ftp.webvision.com/pub/rcx-tools.ZIP" which is supposed to be an already
compiled set of tools for legOS. The preompiled tools would suit us down to
the ground, however the site has been down for at least the last two days and
I can not find the files linked anywhere else. Does anyone else have the .ZIP
that they could send me or tell me where else I could get the precompiled
tools from?

I have the tools- check out
http://arthurdent.dorm.duke.edu/legos/archives/windows/
It has (at least) the win8-egcs file, which is the important stuff, and
also mirrors cygwin. However, be aware that this compiler does not have
the new interrupt patch, and so may or may not be able to do LNP stuff.

Alternatively is there anyonw who has written a really really good how-to or
anyone who has followd a really good howto and has gotten the distribution to
work correctly for version 0.2.2

I'm working on it, very slowly. I've been really swamped with work, so I
haven't made much progress. However, the old HOWTO
(http://arthurdent.dorm.duke.edu/legos/HOWTO/) should still help out with
a lot of the basics.

Good luck-
Luis

thanks heaps for any help

michael

     Profanity is the one language that all programmers understand.
                  -Anonymous