 Robotics / RCX / legOS / 400
Re: Annoying Journalist's Request
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics, lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Mon, 18 Oct 1999 14:58:28 GMT

To the list: this morning is a break for me, so I'm going to use it to
type this out. Hope no one minds that it gets sent to the "annoying
journalist" as well.

Here at Duke, we are teaching a class with the mindstorms. Recently, we
completed a class assignment where we used reinforcement learning to
teach the robots to push a trailer. This is more difficult than it
sounds, because all we tell the robot is that the jacknifed position is
bad. It is never told (explicitly) that the straight-forward position is
good, or that when the robot is slightly off center it should turn in one
direction or the other. Instead, by a program of trial-and-errror, it
learns which situations have the lowest probability of jacknifing and
goes to them. We never tell it to go straight forward, or that straight
is better than to the side. It also learns to back out when jackknifed.
For those of you more technical types, the method used is called
Q-learning and I'd be happy to detail it or show code later. Pics
(mostly large, sorry) are here:

http://arthurdent.dorm.duke.edu/legos/archives/QL/

There is also a movie ofa  robot in a jacknifed position backing out into
a straight position, to give you an idea of what the behavior looks like.
Unfortunately, you'll also notice that it is a huge calculation, taking
nearly 10 seconds per move. The next generation will do several things to
speed this up and improve the learning process.

Anyway, I hope that interests someone :)
-Luis