 Robotics / RCX / legOS / 3623
Re: Implementation of Installable Timers
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Sat, 10 Jan 2004 10:12:34 GMT

In lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos, Joseph Woolley wrote:

It would seem reasonable to check the location of the struct; if in
kernel memory, don't remove; if in user memory, remove.  However, you
could add a flag to the timer struct which could use T_KERNEL and T_USER
flags.

I'd go with the flag, myself.

Maybe a recurring timer should reinsert itself, thus removing that logic
from the tick code (gives control to the timer function).  Perhaps, the
timer func could return a value indicating reinsertion (-1 = no, >= 0
specifies the time)

Its certainly possible for the client timer to reinsert itself - therefore the
recurring timer is not strictly required. It could be left out for space
reasons.  I'd probably either take it out and make it the client's problem, or
leave it in, fully implemented, as at present.

Thanks for the feedback.  I'm working on an active object framework at present.
I'll post when I've got some concrete results.

Iain.