 Robotics / RCX / legOS / 3582
Re: Memory, Motors and Odd Things
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Thu, 11 Dec 2003 04:23:32 GMT

In lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos, Mark Riley wrote:
   In lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos, Steve Hassenplug wrote:
   I’ve noticed when the program is running, it’s not doing anything with the motors, but they seem to buzz.

I assume my variables are writing into the motor control area of BrickOS. Is that possible?

Are you using BrickOS 0.2.6.10?

no. Ok, that’s my first problem.

   In earlier versions, it was possible for malloc() to return pointers to RAM in the range [F010,FB7F], which was shared with the motor port controller.

hmm. yep. malloc()...

   What firmware downloader did you use to download BrickOS (i.e. the brickOS.srec file, not the .lx file)?

no, using the firmdl3.

   If you have recursive code, your program could be overflowing your stack memory and corrupting memory (unlikely, but I thought I’d mention it since I have a hunch what your program is for... :-).

Yes, it’s recursive. And, I’m sure your hunch is right.

   Or, there could be Yet Another BrickOS Motor Port Bug in the offing... ;-/

It sounds like it’s the malloc() bug. I’m using 0.2.6.09 (?) I’m not going to switch to xx.10 just yet, because of my liberal use of systime, instead of getsystime (or whatever I SHOULD be using) :)

I’m going to give the software (and hardware it’s installed in) a big test this weekend, so I don’t want to make that change right now, because, with the exception of the noise from the motor port, it’s working fine.

Thanks Steve