 Robotics / RCX / legOS / 3459
Re: Ultrasonic Sensor Without Use Of A Microcontroller
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Mon, 29 Sep 2003 21:40:02 GMT

In lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos, Vikas Bhatti wrote:
Hi,

I found this website a while back,

<link>http://www.btinternet.com/~leerwilson/design.html<link>

and I decided to actually build the circuit he designed at the bottom of the
page. I was wondering if anyone else has built it? I'm getting really jumpy
readings from it, for example, at a fixed distance of say 60cm from the
sensor,
the values keep jumping around. Is there any way to combat this via
programming?

The sensor is operating at 40kHz. I tried emailing the guy who made the
website
but the email address doesn't exist as it's extension is @btinternet.com,
which
has now been changed.

If anyone has any advice as to how this circuit could be optimised to work
better, i'd really appreciate it. I only built this circuit because i don't
have
access to a PIC system and I can't really afford to spend £150 on a student
kit....me being a university student now!! lol

Cheers

Vik

Hi Vik,
I saw that ckt Digram.
Try powering that ckt with battery. and use RCX to only read the reading. since
you may have spiks on your power line ( which will change your resonance
frequency of 555).
if that works use .1uF bypass cap as close as possiable to each of IC.
good luck.
Regards
Nitin