 Robotics / RCX / legOS / 3357
Re: Programming in Assembly
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx, lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Wed, 16 Jul 2003 14:35:39 GMT

Aaron Goodman <lone(underscore]iguana@hotmail[do.t]com> writes:

I was interested in writing some assembly code for the
lego mindstorm, I don't plan on writing an incredibly
complex program though. I am learning asm for the z80 chip
so I have a little experience. I only want a single
threaded application with one active sensor and two motors
running at full power. I am not interested in using LASM
as was mentioned in a previous thread. I thought a good
place to start would be the early archives of legos
development or the early rcx archives although on lugnet
it seems the archives start after legOS was already
underway. If anyone has tried this or has other
suggestions of documentation please tell.  Also I saw a
link to documentation for the h8/300
here(http://semiconductor.hitachi.com/products/pdf/h3ltp001d1.pdf)
but it dosen't seem to work, if anyone has it please email
it to me.

You should look at Kekoa Proudfoots documentation of RCX internals
(http://graphics.stanford.edu/~kekoa/rcx/) and his librcx library
to understand the calling convention for the ROM.
Then get yourself the H8300 tools (gcc et al) somewhere,
this includes assembler and disassembler and the tools to generate
srec, the format that the RCX understands.
Finally, you can use for example nqc to upload your program.

For the documentation of the hardware try
http://www.google.com/search?q=h8%2F3297+hardware+manual

From then on it shouldn't be too difficult to write your simple
assembler program, even with full sensor and motor control,
the ROM routines do all that nicely.

Good luck

Jürgen

--