 Robotics / RCX / legOS / 3167
Re: measure distance traveled
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Tue, 11 Feb 2003 18:45:29 GMT

On Tue, 2003-02-11 at 01:07, Unknown wrote:
Hi all,

I'm a CS student and I have to complete a practical assignment in which a robot
has to drive 1 meter straight forward, make a 90 degrees turn and then drive
another meter (course administrators will also place obstacles which have to
be avoided, but that's not important for my question). My question is about
the distance traveled by our little friend the robot: how can we measure
this? I was thinking of the following:

- We let the robot drive with an arbitrary fixed speed.
- Measure how long it will take to drive 1 meter.
- Let's say 1 meter is reached within 10 seconds, we know the robot travels
  10 cm per second.
- Now multiplying the time in seconds the robot has driven by 10cm we obtain
  the distance traveled in total.

I quess this should work, but I was just wondering if someone has a better
idea. By the way, I don't have a sensor to measure the RPM.

I'd use a dual differential drive with (one motor fwd/rev, one motor
turns) to ensure a straight line of travel and the a rotation sensor to
measure the wheel rotations. If you don't have a rotation sensor use a
light sensor to emulate one. with this kind of gearing you can easily
measure both distance traveled and degree turned.

With two rotation sensors you can get an even more elegant solution by
counting each wheels rotation separately and use a regular differential
drive which gives you the advantage of more force on the wheels.

BB