 Robotics / RCX / legOS / 31
Re: Anyone building a Java VM based on legOS?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Mon, 22 Feb 1999 20:56:18 GMT

At least as far as CE is concerned, you need at least 8Mo to run a java VM.
This is due to the size of the classes however.  On the other hand there are
smartcards which have an embedded VM cf:
http://www.slb.com/smartcards/mobilecom/simera.html
I believe the VM can probably develloped but the class api would have to be
restricted to the bare minimum.  It would also be possible to implement
something like Jump on the palm http://hewgill.com/pilot/jump/  I can't
check right now but I believe Jumps code is available and it might be
adaptable to the rcx.

Dwayne Jacques Fontenot a écrit dans le message ...

I would be concerned about memory usage. The current Palm machines have
one and two megabytes of RAM, the CE machines even more. That's a lot
more than the 32kB the RCX 1.0 has