 Robotics / RCX / legOS / 3083
3082  |  3084
Subject:
Patches on SourceForge? A good/bad way to get changes into brickOS?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Tue, 14 Jan 2003 21:38:42 GMT

I've just posted
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=668115&group_id=581
51&atid=486699.

I note that there are 4 other patches lingering from as far back as
September.
Will my patch be looked at because it has been posted there?

For info, here is the patch description

The last version of binutils that brickOS works with ATM
is 2.12 - i.e. rather old. There are 2 issues.

1) binutils-2.12.1 introduced a bug in its symbolsrec
code during a rewrite. FIXED as of 2.13.2.

2) Memory allocation was reworked in binutils-2.13. This
changed a mostly benign buffer overrun to a segfaulting
overrun. The problem is that binutils mishandles certain
targets (including h8300-coff) when outputing to srec.
The workaround is to compile to coff, and then objcopy
to symbolsrec (or someone keen could make makelx
read coff).

NB: As of binutils 2.13.2, the error condition is detected,
and binutils dies with:

h8300-hms-ld: cannot handle R_MEM_INDIRECT reloc
when using symbolsrec output

instead of segfaulting.

Some binutils person might fix this in a later release, but
at the moment, brickOS still won't build fully with latest
binutils.

A patch to Makefile.user is attached.

Note: --oformat h8300-coff is used to override
OUTPUT_FORMAT("symbolsrec")
in brickos.lds

Maybe genlds should be changed instead to not write
this line, but I leave that up to the maintainers.

Max.