 Robotics / RCX / legOS / 3077
3076  |  3078
Subject:
DJGPP Cross Compiler Progress
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Mon, 13 Jan 2003 17:37:58 GMT

I have successfully built an h8300 cross compiler for DJGPP using the newest
version of gcc 3.2.  I was not successful using gcc 2.95.2, the current used
gcc compiler with brickOS, and at the advice of others tried gcc 3.2.  Since
it is the goal of the brickOS Team to eventually shift the gcc cross
compiler version to 3.2 I am not going to try to get gcc 2.95.2 to build.
The instructions to build this version are available at
http://brickos.sourceforge.net/docs/install-DJGPP.html.

I am working on building a single setup.exe installation executable using a
program called Inno Setup (http://www.jrsoftware.org/isinfo.php).  If there
are any window developers out there that are using any other installer I am
open for suggestions but I believe Inno Setup will do.

With a successful cross compiler built, I am working on compiling brickOS.
I done some modification to the configure script to detect between DJGPP and
CYGWIN and to deal with getopt.h requirement in some util programs. The
biggest issues as pointed out early is the tty communication. As it turns
out since DJGPP is "essentially" a port of GNU GCC and Utilities to DOS it
does have tty emulation.  I have yet found much documentation about this
functionality and its attempts to mimic Unix.  I DID try removing the -Win32
#define for DJGPP and was successful in building the code this way.  But not
having a serial tower I could not test it out.  The issue with having _Win32
define is that DJGPP is NOT a win32 environment but a DOS one.  This is
explained through the DJGPP documentation.  The real downside here is that
USB is NOT supported directly through DJGPP. I have seen several post on
comp.os.msdos.djgpp that say search Google for "usb dos" but not one that
says here are the x steps you need to add this support.  I am looking at the
options here.

So how many users are currently running under DJGPP or what was called
winlegos?  And what type of tower are you using, serial or usb?

--
Ed Manlove
emanlove@eclipse.net