 Robotics / RCX / legOS / 3009
Re: brickOS and latest binutils
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Thu, 5 Dec 2002 00:34:34 GMT

Nick Tarleton <nickptar@mindspring.com> wrote:

Max Bowsher wrote:

The "invalid symbolsrec file" issue (error from makelx) issue is now
fixed in binutils CVS, both on the trunk, and on the 2.13 branch -
so the next release of binutils, be it 2.13.2 or 2.14 will have this
fixed.
What's the change? Has the symbolsrec format reverted to the one used
before?

The $-sign before symbol addresses was accidentaly removed when that bit of
code was re-written to fix a different bug. It's now back.

The "ld segmentation fault" issue is rather more tricky, and will
require the attention of a binutils COFF guru, but this patch to
Makefile.user works around it:
Why a COFF guru? To understand the h8300-coff format?

Not really. I may have overstated that. Basically, it involves some
moderately complex interactions between different source files - at least,
to complex for me to know where a fix should best be applied (I had never
looked at binutils source a week ago.)

Sorry if these are stupid questions. Just curious.

Not at all. Curiosity was what drove me to investigate this.

Note: Even previous versions of binutils which don't segfault, do silently
corrupt a bit of their memory, and then flukily just happen to work anyway.

Max.