 Robotics / RCX / legOS / 2649
Re: GUI for legOS
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Mon, 17 Jun 2002 18:42:54 GMT

Is DJGPP easier to use from DOS (Windows)?  Can CygWin be executed from a command line?

When I set up my PC with LegOS (about a year ago) I installed DJGPP (with the help of a Unix friend), and I've been very happy with it.

Recently, I just set-up a laptop with Cygwin, and had quite a few of problems.  I managed to get it working, but I spent most of a weekend doing it.  I think I was more determined than most.

From my experience, the DJGPP method seemed easier.

Are these both just Unix 'emulators' for Windows?

I set-up Visual Studio so it will 'make' and 'download' programs.  It's actually just calling DOS commands for djgpp.  You can add these to the VS menubar, so everything looks like its built in (but it's not).

Here's how:
Once the cross-compiler is set-up (so you can type 'make' from a DOS command line) go into Visual Studio, and under Tools>Customize you can 'Add' new commands (I don't have VS right here, so I can't tell the exact buttons)  Then just add 'Make' where is shows 'command' and '(filename).lx' without quotes, in the 'Argument' space.  You can download using the same format.  There is a checkbox at the bottom, I think it's "Output to Window", if that's checked, it won't open a DOS window.

All this still requires djgpp or cygwin be installed, but it makes it so you don't have to leave VS to write, compile, and download programs to the RCX.  I also added 'Download Firmware' and 'Edit Makefile' to the menubar.  (in older versions of LegOS, you can not type 'Make file.lx', you have to add the program to makefile)

Steve

-----
  I can think of two things which would
benefit those just starting with legOS under the Windows environment, a
pre-compiled set of tools for compiling and download application programs,
and a web-compiler.

Both of these have existed in one form or another. DJGPP provided
pre-compiled set of tools that I believe allowed a user to use DOS tools can
compile their application program.  The old page for DJGPP is at
http://legos.sourceforge.net/files/windows/djgpp/.  I have NO experience
with this method but with the resurgence of interest in easier methods to