 Robotics / RCX / legOS / 2646
2645  |  2647
Subject:
Install for legOS
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Sun, 16 Jun 2002 17:39:56 GMT

Hey All,

I've talked with several people about this.

First, a quick generalization: IMHO, there are two types of LegOS users:
1) Unix/Linux programmers who use LegOS as another platform for development, and don’t really care about building robots.
2) Lego robot builders who need to make their robots do things, and choose LegOS to run on their Windows PC.

Now, I know not everyone falls into those two categories.  I think the team that developed LegOS, and the current team, are mainly Unix/Linux users.

I don’t want to start an argument over that.  In fact, I want to thank all the people who’ve put time into the whole LegOS project.

However, I think there’s a very big market of people (like me) who, whatever the reason, do all their work on a Windows PC.  I don’t know a whole lot about Cygwin or Unix/Linux, but I do know how to program in C, and I always use Windows.

I don’t think LegOS should be directed towards people who are new to C.  NQC does a very good job of filling that niche, but for those who want a little better performance out of their robot, LegOS is the way to go.

SO, with that said, I think there’s a VERY big market for a Windows install package for LegOS.  Something where you just unzip it, and you’re ready to start making LX files.

Steve

For starters, a pre-compiled kernel ready for downloading would be
extremely welcome

What would it help?

Anyone that wants the source code to cygwin, pearl, the gcc compiler,
etc., can still get it - it's only a click away. But why *force* everyone
to have to do so?

Have you ever tried legOS? First, if you are running legOS from Linux, you